Multimedia Senior Editor
Key responsibilities include:
- Soliciting investigative story proposals suitable for video and multimedia production from journalists inside and outside the ARIJ network to meet annual ARIJ Video Production targets
- In collaboration with ARIJ Editorial Team, and under the supervision of the Managing Editor, selecting story proposals which are most important and relevant to Arab audiences and which have the greatest potential as video and multimedia projects.
- Reviewing video investigative scripts with Managing Editor.
- Reviewing the first cut of the video investigative film with ARIJ Managing Editor.
- Coaching ARIJ journalists, and editorial staff, to carry out video investigative research to develop selected story proposals into treatments for video and multimedia production
- Coaching ARIJ journalists to follow ARIJ’s guidelines on ethics, legal requirements and personal safety including procedures for secret filming and assessment of the personal safety and security of journalists working on the video investigation. This will include ensuring that ARIJ journalists secure written or recorded clearances from all interviewees and from all suppliers of third-party material such as still photos.
- In collaboration with the Managing Editor, building relationships with commissioning editors at local, regional and international channels and potential clients. Pitching ARIJ projects to them, in collaboration with freelance producers based inside and outside the Arab World.
- Contacting TV stations in countries of ARIJ current/future operations to help securing the broadcasting of ARIJ video investigations and in collaboration with the Managing Editor, nurture business relationships with these outlets
- Supervising the preparation of production budgets in cooperation with the video producers and securing approval of Managing Editor for unforeseen production costs including increasing production budgets
- Coaching ARIJ journalists in the field on video reporting skills including preparation for and conducting of investigative interviews
- Coaching ARIJ journalists on the transcription of rushes, structuring of video and multimedia narratives and writing of scripts. This will include review of rough cuts and fine cuts provided by the producers and provision of feedback notes.
- Preparing and delivering training modules on the production of journalistic editorial content of video and multimedia investigative projects (researching stories, writing treatments, pitching ideas to editors, assessing ethical, legal and safety risks, reporting, interviewing, transcribing rushes, structuring narratives and writing scripts).
- Ensuring that the editorial content of all ARIJ video and multimedia projects is delivered on time and within budget in coordination with the Video Producers and in collaboration with the Managing Editor.
- Preparing and presenting weekly reports on the editorial progress of all video and multimedia investigations to the Managing Editor
- Providing digital stories for ARIJ current website and future Platform, in collaboration with the Managing Editor and the editorial team.
- Providing the web editor with brief descriptions of video investigations ahead of broadcast of investigation
- In collaboration with the Managing Editor, preparing scripts for ARIJ’s annual film and other video promotional material including annual ARIJ prize films.
- Supervising and following up on securing pre-broadcast legal clearances for all video investigations and meeting translation needs.
Job requirements and qualifications:
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience in video and multimedia production in an editorial role.
- Minimum 3-5 years experience in investigative journalism.
- Experience in training and designing training programs is desirable.
- Researching and reporting video and multimedia investigations
- Training video journalists in classroom settings and coaching them one-on-one in the classroom and in the field
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
- Editorial judgment to assess the importance and relevance of story proposals, their potential as visual projects and the ethical, legal and safety issues involved
- Fluent written and spoken Arabic and excellent written and spoken English are essential
A degree in media, film making or a related field
- Excellent spoken and written English and Arabic
- Experience working with film productions is desirable
- Excellent script writing skills.
- Experience in multimedia training is desirable
Please send your CVs, by the end of the working day 15 February 2017 to :firstname.lastname@example.org
The subject of the email should be : CV/ ARIJ Multimedia Senior Editor.