Arab Reporters for Investigative Journalism (ARIJ) is seeking to recruit a Jordan-based Researcher/Fact-Checker to join our team on the MENA Research & Data Desk project. The project seeks to develop a regional database of open sources in all Arab countries.
The applicant should have an educational background in information technology from any relevant institute or college.
Please see requirements below; only qualified candidates should apply.
Duties and Responsibilities:
MENA Research & Data Desk Project:
- Contributing to the Data Desk platform: collecting and scraping data, extracting data from scraping.
- Scraping the data; to collect data from all available resources including online data that might go offline after a short period of time.
- Contributing to updating old data on the ARIJ MENA Research and data platform.
- Monitoring the performance of the platform including updating the data, validating the research process & compliance with results.
- Producing, and contributing to the production of assets making up the ARIJ’s MENA Research & Data Desk, including Technical Manuals, Training materials & presentations, Platform Policies, Business Continuity Plan, lesson learnt & success stories.
- Holding training sessions for website users (media students, journalists & journalism institutions).
- Responding to and researching all data requests from inside and outside the region.
- Communicating with the list of clients, when needed.
- Communicating with locally-hired research and data gathering coordinators and establishing a relationship with existing and new partners.
- Following up on the Documentation & Archiving of collected data.
- With each accomplished research task, the researcher should create one official report associated with the manuals & tools & techniques and references and presentation.
- Support journalists and ARIJ’s editorial staff, with data analysis skills & research techniques.
- Organizing, training and capacity-building on advanced research.
- Fact checking to consolidate the quality of ARIJ’s investigations, reports, and print/multimedia materials in line with ARIJ’s manual and criteria.
- Contributing to building database about business.
- Building proper communication channels with locally-hired data collectors across the region.
- Contributing to ARIJ’s training workshops, and the annual forum.
- Dealing flexibly with any additional editorial duties assigned as per ARIJ needs.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- At least 2 year of experience in similar positions.
- Sufficient background in Business reporting.
- Strong online data searching capabilities.
- Efficiency in reporting and data presentation
Technical Knowledge & Experience
- Extracting Data.
- Technical Knowledge in data management (scraping, mapping, database management)
- Familiar with researching tools & web search engines.
- Fundamental Concepts of Information Security, including (Internet Security, Emails Security, Data Backup & Disaster Recovery, and Encryption) and fair practice on the security tools of these topics.
- Online research & reporting skills.
- Word Processing & Spreadsheets, Microsoft Office ( Word, Excel, Access)
- Simple Accounting
- Database & data re-structuring
Required Interpersonal Skills
- Critical thinkingDetail-oriented
- Self-motivated.High Communication skills.
- Strong managerial skills.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Persistent and committed to the mission of ARIJ
Bachelor Degree in Journalism or Information Technology. Other relevant university degrees are not excluded
- Fluent in English
- Excellent Arabic writing skills
To apply: please send your CV and a cover letter before 15 May 2017 to firstname.lastname@example.org under the title: Researcher and Fact Checker