Job Vacancy: Researcher and Data Desk Assistant
Arab Reporters for Investigative Journalism (ARIJ) is recruiting a researcher/data desk assistant to join our data desk team. The project seeks to develop a regional database of open sources in all Arab countries.
Please see requirements below; only qualified candidates should apply.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsible for advanced research for ARIJ-sponsored investigations, features and other ARIJ materials, the job includes collecting, analyzing data that is crucial to journalists, partners’ organizations, academics, human rights activists and media students. The researcher/data desk assistant is responsible for ensuring that data is collected upon the editorial needs of ARIJ and according to ARIJ standards and ethics. The researcher/data desk assistant also helps in fishing ideas out of researched data and suggesting them to the Data Desk editor. The researcher/data desk assistant is also responsible for verifying documentations presented as facts in ARIJ-sponsored investigations, whether ongoing or completed, whereby she/he has to read carefully and underline what facts, quotes, or sources of information need to be validated by the investigative reporter. In addition, she/he assists the data desk editor in developing ARIJ database, the network of fact-checkers, contracts and other administrative duties.
-To respond to data requests from ARIJ’s editorial staff, journalists, partners’ organizations, academics, human rights’ activists, etc.
-To contribute to advanced research for ARIJ sponsored investigations.
– To contribute to fact-checking documents of ARIJ-sponsored investigations.
– To develop ARIJ data and research platform through collecting and updating data sources, including data related to business, land and courts records (without necessarily performing technical tasks, such as scraping data).
– To coordinate with the locally-hired data collectors in the targeted countries.
– To coordinate and follow up with ARIJ network of independent fact-checkers.
– To support journalists and ARIJ’s editorial staff with data analysis skills and techniques.
– To contribute to ARIJ’s training workshops and ARIJ annual conference.
– To assist the data desk editor in managing ARIJ database, the network of fact-checkers, contracts and other administrative duties.
– any additional administrative or editorial duty assigned as per ARIJ needs.
Minimum BA degree (Master degree is preferable) in Journalism, Information Technology or other related fields.
Requirements and Qualifications:
– Strong online research experience, including researching tools and web search engines
– Good background in economy and business reporting
– Ability to critically analyze data and sources
– Ability to verify documentations and evidences in a detail oriented manner
– Knowledge of the MENA countries, particularly their different jurisdictions and databases
– Experience in data management, including mapping and database management
– Knowledge in internet security and data backup.
– Ability to fluently communicate in Arabic and English, both orally and in writing
– Ability of working in a team and to efficiently communicate and coordinate between team members
– Experience of managing conflicting requests, flexibly adjusting priorities and meeting deadlines
– Experience in reporting and oral presentations
– Demonstrated commitment to the mission, values and ethics of ARIJ
To apply: please send your CV and a cover letter before January 3, 2018 to email@example.com under the title: Researcher and Data Desk Assistant